Jake Gibbs died of what appeared to be a heart attack during soccer practice at Fairview Middle School Wednesday, February 17, 2010. He was in eighth grade.
When a young one dies, the earth just seems to cry. The trees seem to droop a little and sun hits their skin differently as if simply brushing their rough cheeks instead of embracing them in warmth. The tall grass doesn't sway in the wind with as much purpose. It just kind of gets pushed around. The wind becomes angry and it swings punches left and right, leaving a stinging cold against shadowed faces. But there is a peace in the midst of all the darkness and sorrow and my heart is comfortable just soaking it all in.
I didn't know Jake Gibbs. I won't meet him till I die. I don't know anyone that knows Jake or his family very well. I can't console them or make sense of it for them. But I know the Earth pretty well and I've come to this memorial to console the soil and the trees and to calm the wind. The Earth shouldn't and couldn't just move on like nothing happened, but it must not die too, but live for him (a far greater thing). Somewhere Jake's footprint is still in the mud where it will stay until the next rainfall will drive it deeper into the heart of the Earth where it will stay forever.
I don't understand why some die so young. Lindsey, Levi, Sades,... and thousands more upon millions that I will never hear about. But I still care, and if this is the only thing I can do to help, I will do it with all my heart.
Jilly: I'm so sorry you lost a friend. It's so unusual for a child to die of a weak heart, that you must know the Father wanted him home. He must have been a good boy. I'm sure his family will miss him. Maybe you'll have a chance to share with them how to have him forever. Hugs.
ReplyDelete